16.7.14

The Beaches of Normandy


Little by little I'm sure you all are finding out that I'm a poorly disciplined blogger. I understand that a month is an unacceptably long time to go without posting, and I'm trying to be better!! My last four weeks in Paris are approaching and I have a feeling they will be filled with more free time to explore, write, and post about my days (i.e. all of my friends are leaving and I'll suddenly be a party of one rather than a party of 4+). Sad as I am to see them go (really really sad) I am also excited to be alone in Paris, I promise never to wait another month before posting again.
Anyways, let's back track to many weeks ago when I spent the weekend in Normandy! Just after the anniversary of D-Day, it was amazing yet chilling to visit the sites that hold so much history. The museum was full of World War II paraphernalia, letters recounting time spent in concentration camps, video footage that I'm glad I saw but would never like to see again. Many thought-provoking and sobering images and artifacts. We visited the German memorial and then the American memorial. The German memorial was not on the beach and was expansive yet conservative, beautiful in the way only war memorials can be. The American cemetery, however, was the opposite of conservative. Huge statues, sculptures, and monuments, surrounded by the American Flag, were swarmed with people taking photographs. With the Star-Spangled Banner playing over a loud speaker, one could almost forget they were in France. I found it a bit ostentatious and off-putting, thinking that only America could turn a cemetery into a tourist trap, but then again that might have been the french tendency that has been instilled in me over the past couple months. The beaches were way bigger than I imagined and incredibly serene and beautiful; and, after just having watched videos of troops storming the very sand I walked on, it was an incredibly grounding experience.





After a couple days of history lessons, we were able to experience something else that the region is famous for...Apples! Apple cider and apple juice to be more specific. We went to the absolutely adorable Ferme Billy apple orchard and farm for a cider tasting and lunch! The decor of the farm caught my eye before anything else, all very rustic/farmhouse revival sort of a feel. The food was amazing, one of the best meals I've had on the trip**, and the cider was even better!! After our stop at the farm we were on our way back to Paris by bus, a short 4 hours ride.
My next post? I went to Londontown!!! I'll post about it soon, along with updates on other Paris shenanigans. Missing everyone back home, but loving Paris more each day. xoxobb

**Disclaimer: I know I say this about every meal I mention on here, but, it's true. I don't know what else to say.








No comments :

Post a Comment